How to check instructor's accreditation & insurance

Go Rin Pou instructors are qualified under NCAS Level I minimum. All instructors and even assistant instructors have up to date Senior 1st Aid. In addition, all instructors hold a current Blue Card for Working With children  [More details here] . Senior instructors also hold a Certificate III in Sports Coaching  Go Rin Pou instructors are also members of the AJJA and WJJF associations.

Whatever martial arts school you attend, you have a right to ask to see the instructor's qualifications and insurance.   Read on to see what to look for .....

Be aware that as in any industry there are shonky practices about. Watch out for these: 

High on the list of complaints that the peak bodies receive are those involving ‘door to door' karate course salesman. Be wary of anyone selling karate courses in this manner often such salespeople will use false and misleading crime statistics backed up with graphic photos to convince you that you or your children need to enroll in a course to feel safe.

Such tactics are unethical. In most circumstances the law provides for a cooling off period when services such as these are bought door to door. This means that you can cancel any agreement signed during this period and obtain a refund. Anyone offering such courses must also provide you with written information about your legal rights in the event you change your mind.  Your local Fair Trading Office can help you further.

Many bogus groups will claim or imply ‘Accreditation' by aligning themselves with a “General Principles' Course or with qualifications under the Australian Qualifications Framework – neither constitute Accreditation.   ‘Certification' is a term often used by bodies that are generally NOT accredited, to imply an ‘official or endorsed status – in fact, when closely looked at ‘Certification' programs could be just issued by private organsiations as a money making exercise. A Certificate III by itself does not make an instructor accredited, it just means that they have done a Certificate III certificate and that they are 'qualified'.  'Accredited' is an additional process to ensure instructor skill meet minimum standards. Instructors can be qualified but not accredited and accredited but not qualified.

Some organizations will make claim to being representative or ‘peak body' -  Look to who owns and runs the organization. There are some groups that claim to be representative or peak bodies but in fact are private organizations that are run for the profit of the owners. Organisations that are Pty Ltd Companies or worse still a simple registered business name are just that private businesses set up to make a profit – there is nothing wrong in making a profit but there is a lot wrong with implying that you are in some way helping the industry when the profit motive is the prime reason that your business functions. Bona fide organizations will be able to provide audited accounts, have regular elections of office bearers and be registered non profit organizations. Non Profit Organisations will be State registered incorporated bodies that will have ‘Inc.' after their organisatioin name. You can check on an organizations status by going to the ASIC  [ Search here ]

Some martial arts peak body/groups on-sell insurance by obtaining a group policy then on-sell policies at a profit. Many such policies contain martial arts exclusion clauses as well as high excess payments. An organization profiting from selling insurance must by law advise you of what percentage of your premium is for the policy and how much is for other charges. 

Employment Opportunities-   In truth employment opportunities in the Martial Arts industry are governed by more than passing a ‘Special' and generally high cost course. Peak bodies receive numerous complaints about organizations who provide courses that ‘guarantee' employment after the paying of inflated tuition fees. Please

HOW TO MAKE A COMPLAINT - Complaints relating to the above matters can be directed to the relevant State Department of Fair Trading Office or Consumer Affairs Office.